Divorce cases are up as economy recovers

ABC News

Posted: 02/05/2014                           
                                        
Carlos Correa

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - A rebound in the economy is producing a rebound in divorce court. Now that the economy is starting to improve, it appears more people are deciding that it’s a good time to call it quits.

Couples forced to stay together during the recession are finally able to permanently separate as the improving economy brings in more available money.

Bakersfield attorney Nicholas Azemika is noticing a change just as the economy begins to recover.
“In Kern County, typically family law, there’s always an increase in filings,” he said.

A study to be published in Population Research and Policy Reviews, finds fewer couples nationwide split during the recession and may have been waiting until they could afford to file for divorce.

“When the real estate market went crazy, and you had people with equity in their homes, all of a sudden you started seeing spouses coming in saying ‘oh, okay if I get divorced, I get half of that equity in that house? Yup,’” he said.

Nationwide, the divorce rate among married women dropped from 2.09% to 1.95%, but began to climb in both 2010 and 2011.

Leaders with Kern County’s Family and Law Division are also noticing the trend here at home.
“People in marriage fight over sex, power and money,” said Azemika.

Five thousand people filed for divorce last year, that’s a little over four hundred a month.
“There’s a lot of reasons why they go through divorce, but the biggest reason is financial stress,” said Garro Ellis, financial advisor for Money Wise.

Filing for divorce can cost $500 dollars and after lawyer and court costs, it all adds up to more than $10,000, which for some couples it’s a split they can now afford.

“Now that the economy is recovering, people are more comfortable with stock prices up, 401k’s are up, home prices are up. They are feeling more comfortable pulling the trigger,” said Ellis.

More>

1 comments: (+add yours?)

Elizabeth David said...

I want to say thank you thank you thank you to Ancient (Great Matatan powerful Spell ) for everything so far. To everyone who doesn’t believe in spell, I was one of those ones at first. I wasn’t quite sure if I wanted to do this since I’ve tried others so-called spells casters and they did not work and was a waste of my time and money. However, when I read through the testimonials of other people at this website and after I talked Great Matatan powerful Spell who answered all my questions and was very nice about everything, I decided to give it a try. I figured it would be my last try to get my guy back. So my story is that I was at my office when the guy I am in love with told me that he wasn’t in love with me and never will be and that he didn’t want to speak or see me again, especially since he was talking to this other girl. When I talked to Great Matatan , he let me know which spells would be most appropriate for me and I chose the ones that was to get him back to me and stay with me and want to marry me.As soon as he started on the spells, my guy came back into my life! It was a miracle to me and I’m so thankful for that. Things have been going well, and pretty much according to what Great Matatan Spell said would happen. He’s always there when you need him and that’s also after the spell is done. I’m still waiting for the spells to completely manifest, but with all that has happened so far I’m very happy because given only four months ago in March, if you asked me or my friends if I would have anticipated how things were right now…no one would believe it! Great Matatan. contact is email address (  matatanspell@yahoo.com .  )  

Post a Comment